Housing Update • Seasonal • March 19, 2020
Spring is in the air—finally!
Once you follow the advice of author Anne Lamott, it’s a good idea to “spring into action” and get your home and yard ready for the explosion of growth all around you.
Here are some essential to-dos to get ready for the gorgeous months we have ahead.
- Edge around planting beds
- Prune shrubs and roses before new shoots are over ½ inch long
- Insert stakes for plants that will grow tall as the season unfolds
- Fertilize in early spring as new growth emerges
- Clip perennial stems with scissors or hand pruners
- Check any concrete around your home and fill with concrete crack filler or silicone caulk.
- Inspect your chimney’s exterior and roof for shingles that are damaged or loose
- Examine your gutters to ensure they are in good shape
- Ensure your downspouts are debris-free and drain away from your home’s foundation
- Clean walls and ceiling
- Dust thoroughly working from the top of rooms down
- Reseal grout in kitchen and bathroom
- Vacuum and shampoo rugs
- Clean upholstered furniture
- Wash windows and screens
- Wax wooden furniture
- Clean all the window treatments per care instructions
- Wax your non-wood floors
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Assess the state of your air conditioner and schedule service if needed
Enjoy the exquisite months ahead in your lovely corner of the universe. Happy spring!